National Heroes Day is observed to celebrate the lives of outstanding people, who made great contributions to the development of the nation. The date of the holiday is chosen to be December 9, that is birthday anniversary of the first hero of Antigua and Barbuda, Sir Vere Cornwall Bird. He served as the first Prime Minister from November 1, 1981 to March 9, 1994 and he's generally regarded as the father of the nation.
The other four heroes, who are commemorated on this day are:
- Sir Vivian Alexander Richards, one of the best cricketers of the century, the cricketer legend in Antigua and Barbuda
- King “Prince Klass” Court, leader of revolt against slavery who managed to gain its abolition
- Dame Georgiana Nellie Robinson, a prominent educator and leader in protection for all children in the country
- Sir George H. Walter. A, the second Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda, who advocated the full independence of the state from the United Kingdom.
- Public Holidays
- Antigua and Barbuda
- national heroes day in antigua and barbuda, public holiday, observances in antigua and barbuda